Monday 30 July 2012

Grey Ghost Gig


As this was a four-week residency at the workers club in Fitzroy, I was booked to play the second week. The first week I went down to check out the set, and it had been a while since I’d gone to a gig just as a spectator. I love being around live music, it’s the only real place I feel that I fit in/feel at home.

Turns out GG is playing with a full band, and the whole set had me thinking “Goddamn that bass player looks familiar”.

Turns out its DJ Matik. If you don’t know who this is, he’s the man behind the music for Seth Sentry, Pez and Grey Ghost. He’s also one of Australia’s best scratch DJ’s. If you ever get a chance to see him playing a DJ set, it’s more than worthwhile checking out.

After the show had a chat to him and GG, was pretty pumped for my set the week after.

I took the liberty in this set of playing a lot of new album material I’ve been working on, and played 6 or so songs for the first time ever. This is so exciting for me as I’ve been sitting on these tracks for a while now, and the crowed (although small numbers for my set) was really feeling the new stuff. Being so intimate and close was also fantastic after playing a few big shows recently… really lets me show my soul through the mic when I'm performing.

Allday was the other support for the night, and I was really interested in checking out his set. You’ve probably heard his new one “It’s all good” being smashed on triple J rotation.

GG killed the set again as expected… Also noticed mantra just quietly shifting through the crowed. It makes me so happy when I see bigger names still making it out to gigs and involving themselves in the scene. 

No comments:

Post a Comment