Monday 30 July 2012

Supporting Seth Sentry and Chance Waters


The Funkoars support really got shit rolling for me, and this next support slot that I landed I was so, so happy with.

Seth Sentry and Chance Waters are two of my favorite Australian rappers, and when I heard that their shows were being merged together and that I was going to be playing along side them: Mind basically blown.

This show sold out. And I mean really sold out. And then they managed to sell at least another 50 tickets than what the Everlyn could hold… The show was overflowing.  I have never seen the Everlyn with that many people in it before. That venue, as I'm sure it does with many people, has a special place in my memory. I remember going there on a Monday night (when I was about 14) for the hip-hop night hosted at the time by litigate, seeing acts such as Fluid MC (now known as Bam Bam) come through and rip sets and open mics. I’ve seen so many great gigs at the Everlyn from every style of music, and lots of the acts I’ve seen there have gone onto pretty massive things (Pez and 360 as prime examples).

Anyway, the crowed was digging my opening set, which was nice, and getting props from Seth and Chance really is a highlight of my career to date.  Chance played with his full band, adding even more dimensions to an already killer set… When it was time for Seth Sentry to take the stage, you should have seen the crowed go mental. Comes on stage starting the chant of what is pretty much the unofficial hip-hop anthem

“Its bigger than… HIP HOP, HIP HOP, HIP HOP!”


Also gave us a taste of the new album... this is the first time i heard the new single "Float Away" which I'm sure you've heard by now. 

What a fun night. Check this photo out of me getting my fan on and getting all my shit signed…



This is a video of a track me Olivia Romas and Jordan Creely wrote together, decided to play it for the first time live. Its Called "Fake Hate That Can't Aim". Used this to close the set.




Also notice the Grey Ghost drawing in there. I ran into him on the way out of the gig and stopped for a chat. Its funny though, I had this song stuck in my head for weeks and I couldn’t for the life of me remember where I had saved it/what it was called. It was a track that I’d listened to A LOT when I was about 14, after one of the nights at the Everlyn seeing the band “Alex the Kid”. I could even recite the lyrics, and I new that the song was featuring Jeremody (now known as Grey Ghost).  I took my chance and asked him about the track, and because I didn’t no what it was called I had to rap back some of his lines to him… it quickly jogged his memory and he laughed saying that that song was never released and wondered how I had it. I really have no idea, but once he told me the name of it I found it saved on an old laptop of mine. Listening to it as we speak…

“That’s why I don’t take drugs anymore, I just drink lemonade” – Jeremody (Grey Ghost)

I think this little run in is maybe what sparked his management to contact me for me to support him at his Mixtape launch.

If you haven’t already check out Grey Ghost’s EP and new free Mixtape… I am a big fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment